Saturday, November 28, 2009

God has a sense of humor -- Thanksgiving style!

You really have to put this one in a category of its own!!!

Here is how our Thanksgiving went beginning at 5am Thursday morning till 9pm Friday night, ...

I woke up Thurs. at 5am so I could put the traditional Mrs. Smith's Pumpkins Pies in the oven for later that day. No biggie, as I have been doing this for years. Caught a quick nap, and then Sherry, Bri, and I made our way to the Columbus sale. Our timing was perfect! Got in, found a parking place, and had a nice breakfast and stroll around Columbus (also a family tradition). We left the Market in plenty of time to get home so that the bird could be put in the oven. Actually Jon called an put it in for us. This years poultry was a beautiful 20 and 3/4 pound Butterball. All of the other necessities were staged to go into the oven at the appropriate times -- potato filling (a Miller side of the family favorite), sweet potatoes, dried corn (another Miller side delicacy), ham, rolls, etc.

Now the big event was the arrival of family. My brother-in-law was coming in from D.C., my other brother-in-law was coming with his girlfriend/soon to be wife from Reading, and he was bringing my mother-in-law. My niece was also coming in by train fro N.Y. This is where things began to break down. We had given directions to my B-in-law on how to get to the train station to pick up my niece (his daughter). The directions we gave were to the WRONG station. he was going to the Metropark, and she was arriving in Hamilton. My B-in-laws car developed an increasingly louder noise in the area of the front tire. So bad to the point that he could no longer drive it after arriving at the wrong train station. So, Sherry (my wife for those of you who did not know), then took off to: 1. pick up our niece at the right station, and 2. pick of the stranded "in-laws" at the wrong station. While she was on the road (I had to stay at home to attend the cooking of the dinner {a whole different story}), my in-laws called AAA, and called me looking for a place to rent a car and a place to have their car towed to. Well, there are no car rental places open on Thanksgiving, and the first place I gave then (via the internet) was no longer in existence. Our second option was OK. During this time, my other brother-in-law arrived from D.C., and we waited and chatted. Now, I want you to know at this point the Bird is scheduled to come out at 2:30 for a 3pm carving. Sherry arrived, at station one, picking up the niece, traveled to station two, and followed the tow truck to the repair shop, and loaded up the rest of the family (oh, did I forget to tell you they were all in our Prius as we had loaned our mini-van to missionaries). They then started the drive back here for dinner.

I am now in crisis mode -- adjusting temperature for lateness, watching the bird, and wishing we had all just gone to Denny's! Everyone arrived at 6pm -- 3 hours past the scheduled dinner time!

Hey, everybody was fine and safe, This was the most important thing! After all people are more important than things. When we all sat down for dinner, I carved the bird AND it was still moist and delicious. Thank you God!

That evening, we packed the family in our mini-van (that we are able to borrow back from the missionaries, and traveled to Reading. Put our heads to the pillow at 2:30am. Sherry and I got up in the morning and did the traditional Friday shopping. We got word that all of the trouble with the car was due to losing one bolt, and the loosening of another. The car was fixed. So after shopping and my brother -in-law returning from work, we traveled back to pick up the car and then went our separate ways.

What a day! God has a sense of humor. he allowed us to have a safe, yet adventuresome holiday, kept the turkey moist, and permitted us to bond as a family in a unique way!

No comments:

Post a Comment