Tuesday, October 13, 2009

South America Mission Trip, Leg 1

As I write this blog entry I am sitting in the home of one of our missionaries to Uruguay, Sergio Duarte. After all of the traveling I am tired and looking for a shower and good nights sleep. But before I do that, let me bring you up to date on everything that happened since I left Monday morning.

  1. Joe Kunteski drove me to the phila. airport, and I had no problem checking in. I dropped my bag off at curbside and proceeded in to confirm my seat. THere was a slight buep in that one of the bags I was carrying on needed to be checked for size. Thank God it fit in the mold. The flight departed Phila. and arrived in Miami on time. After a quick trip to baggage to collect my suitcase, I went about the business of searching out the other team members.
  2. I locatd other team members one by one. The first one I found after I had checked in for the LAN flight to Buenas Aires, Argentina. I noticed him because of the bright orange tags we were issued. I was concerned that we all get through check in as quickly as possible because they were asking for volunteers to stay over and take the flight tomorrow. Since we had additional plans in Argentina, we needed to be on tha plane.
  3. After going through security, I met another team member who had just gotten in from Idaho, and then soon after, we communicated with the rest by phone. They we also in the terminal.
  4. The Lan flight toook off on schedule. We left at 9pm and arrive in Argentina at 7pm their time -- 9 hour flight. The seats on this flight were a little smaller than the ones on American Airlines, but I made do! Since this was an overnight flight, we had blankets and pillows for the flight. They did me no good, as I did not sleep at all on the plane. I am getting tired.
  5. We arrive in Argentina, and gettin through customs was a breeze. We all assembled in the lobby and Bill Park, the team leaders said the missionary Colby Holmes should be here waiting for us. Unfortunately, Colby was at the other end of the airport waiting for us, and we did not get together for 40 minutes.
  6. After meeting COlby, we all headed for the van and the trip through the center of Buenas Aires in order to get to the boat that would take us over to Uruguay. We missed the 9:30am departure and had to wait for the noon departure. All in all this was an enjoyable trip. It lastd about an hour, and we arrived in Uruguay, negotiated customs again, and were met by Sergio Duarte and the pastor of the Colon church. We had a quick tour of the church and ministry and then went to lunch at a favorite restaraunt of one of the missionaries. What a splended meal. We were served a variety of meat. I tried intestine for my first time, and some other part of the cow that Sergio could not identify.
  7. After the noon meal, we were off to Frey Bentos. This is the ministry area of Sergio. I was told that for every person in the country there are 6 cows! Two thirds of the population is centered around the capital and the rest are spread over the rest of the country. Needless to say that we saw far more cows and sheep than people for the 2.5 hour trip.
  8. Upon arrival in Frey Bentos, we went to Sergio's house where we greeted the family and met missionary Sn Vallette, and his 1953 Chevy. We went to the FB church and saw all that God has done there. What a beautiful building erected for the glory of God. Afterwards, we returned to Sergio's house where we enjoed some empanadas and coffee. Pastor West and I are staying with the Duarte's and will be ministering in the town of Young tomorrow. The rest of the team continued in the Chevy to Pasandu and will be staying at the camp. We will meet up with the late Wednesday.

Well, that is it! Off to a shower and a good nights sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, we're glad to hear that you arrived safely in Uruguay. Look forward to hearing all about the trip. Ted's still recovering from pneumonia and looks like we'll be in MD part of the weekend for my cousin Mary's funeral. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete